Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How do we use blogs effectively?

After looking at many different blogs used for education I think the key to using them effectively is to think about what you want your students to get out of your class and blog. Is your blog going to be used as a question and answer area, a site where students can go to discuss topics further, or is it going to be a place where kids and parents can go to post their work or look at their kids work? Whatever direction one takes I think that it is important to have an idea of what you hope to accomplish with your blog so that you can set it up so that your target audience will be able to get the most out of it.

4 comments:

  1. Russ, I have found the same thing. I really think a focused purpose for a blog (with a more or less defined audience) would work best for a blog. So, as in any kind of writing, planning a blog should include defining and refining the blog's purpose and audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if a choice for the purpose of a blog can be "all of the above?" As I go forward, I expect that I'll get a feel about how many areas are too much for a blog and causes confusion instead helping the visitor. I expect that there must be a gadget for "site map" or "index" of site services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a very good point Russ! There are so many different options to choose from! I am the type of person who likes to take advantage and try everything but I know with blogging I have to narrow my focus! I have to agree with you that it is important to know what exactly you want to accomplish before incorporating blogs into the curriculum. It is interesting to see what works effectively for different people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree - without a focused purpose (whether one item or "all of the above") a blog would not accomplish what you want it to.

    ReplyDelete